Discover how choosing a Portakabin building helps to reduce your impact on the environment
Modular and portable buildings reduce energy use, waste and carbon emissions - for life
Portakabin modular and portable buildings offer unbeatable environmental benefits to any organisation. At every stage, from building manufacture through installation to lifetime use, Portakabin buildings help you to reduce waste, minimise energy use and cut carbon emissions. By choosing a Portakabin building over a traditionally constructed one, you can achieve cost and energy savings in both the short-term and for the life of the building, reducing the impact of your activities on the environment for future generations.
Off-site manufacture for optimum quality and minimum waste
- Manufacturing buildings under strictly controlled factory conditions enables fast and efficient construction, with no interference from poor weather or site labour shortages. Crucially, building quality can be carefully controlled and buildings are completed right on schedule
- State-of-the-art software is used to design buildings that deliver maximum energy efficiency with minimal waste generation
- Factory-based building manufacture delivers consistently high quality standards through close control of the entire construction process. The Portakabin quality-management system is certified to ISO 9001
- Portakabin manufacturing systems are extremely energy efficient, using minimal hot or mechanised processes. Up to 67% less energy is required to produce a modular building than a traditionally constructed one. (Source: Arup Research and Development)
- We successfully source many of our materials from certified sustainable and managed sources
- We have now achieved zero waste to land as we now recycle all waste generated by our manufacturing facilities
Rapid, efficient installation reduces noise, disruption and pollution
- Due to minimal site deliveries, there are up to 90% fewer vehicle movements on a modular building site than a traditional building project, reducing on-site dust levels and congestion as well as emissions associated with vehicle use (Source: Mtech)
- Build times can be reduced by up to 50% using modular building methods, resulting in proportionate savings in site costs and carbon emissions, and an earlier return on investment
- Our prefabricated buildings are delivered to site ready for rapid, simple installation, minimising noise and disruption on site
- Due to greater predictability and quality control on modular building projects, Portakabin has a track record of delivering 99.9% of buildings on time and on budget.1 This compares favourably with the construction-industry average of just 59% cent delivered on time and 46% on budget2
Modular buildings deliver lifetime energy savings and carbon reduction
- The highly insulated, steel-framed Portakabin modular building system features a unique composite panel construction that ensures continuity of insulation across the building envelope. This design reduces the risk of condensation and delivers optimum thermal efficiency
- Precision manufacture to tight tolerances creates very air-tight buildings, minimising draughts that reduce thermal efficiency. Tests conducted by the Building Research Establishment (BRE) on Portakabin Ultima buildings show that they exceed the Building Regulations Part L air-permeability requirements by 70% - resulting in exceptional thermal efficiency for reduced energy consumption
- The insulation materials used in the walls, roof and floor of Portakabin buildings have an Ozone Depleting Potential (ODP) of zero - minimising their impact on the environment
- Modular and portable buildings go on delivering environmental benefits, even at the end of their life. Buildings can easily be reconfigured, refurbished or relocated to meet changing needs. Modular buildings can even be dismantled and the parts reused or recycled. Reusing the entire building or its component parts in this way can save more than 90% in embodied energy compared to an equivalent 'new build'. (Source: Arup)
Enhance your environmental performance with sustainable design options
You can enhance the environmental performance of your building even further with the range of sustainable design options available from Portakabin. These include solar heating systems, passive ventilation, ground-source heat pumps, green roofs and more.
Download your FREE sustainable procurement guide
For more detailed advice and guidance on specifying sustainable modular or portable buildings, you can download our free Guide to sustainable building procurement.
1. Portakabin order analysis July 2003-June 2011.
2. Office for National Statistics, Construction Statistics Annual 2009. Crown copyright 2009, reproduced under the terms of a Public Sector Information Licence.